Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Kelly's List of Fashion Don'ts

Let me warn you straight away, I am making this entry at the risk of being a fashion snob. So be it. I am not here to say that I am the world's best dresser, this is not about what not to wear as far as style is concerned. Instead it is about what not to wear as far as simple human decency is concerned. With this in mind, let me introduce you to Kelly's list of fashion don'ts.

1. Don't wear pajamas in public. No one needs and or wants to see what you sleep in. This includes but is certainly not limited to pj pants, boxer shorts, ribbed tank tops without a bra, and athletic shorts (although I am willing to make exceptions for those). Pajamas are meant for wearing to bed, not for wearing in public. If they were meant to be seen by the general public they wouldn't have they own department.

2. Don't think you can give new life to an article of clothing by cutting it. I will make an exception for shanks merely because some of my dearest friends rock them, but I'm not exactly keen on them. However, I am most certainly not OK with cut off t-shirts. These are mostly worn my college ages males who constantly look like they are either coming from or going to the gym. You know, they cut off the sleeves to make them look like tank tops. Cut off jean shorts, also not OK. NO ONE should wear these. The 90s are over. T-shirts, jeans and all other articles of clothing have hems for a reason. Leave them alone.

3. Don't wear sweatpants - ever. I know sweatpants can also fit into the pj category but they are also a category of their own. I honestly can't think of an situation where sweatpants are a logical choice of clothing. They are not flattering. They are not fashionable. Really, they aren't even that practical. They're warm, so you sure as hell don't to wear them to work out. They're ugly so you don't want to wear them in public. Now, I know there are some of you in the MidWest saying, "Hey, it gets cold here and they keep me warm!" OK, you wear them in the comfort of your own home where no one else can see you and then you don't tell me about it.

4. Guys, don't wear v-neck t-shirts. I like men with chest hair, I'm just not into seeing it stick out of your t-shirt. Now, I live in Tempe with all sort of arty types who think this is a good fashion statement. I'm sorry boys, it isn't. Turn up your emo music and get over it. V-necks are for girls, sorry.

5. Guys, don't think you can rock tank tops either. If it is made by Hanes and comes in a three pack it is meant to be worn underneath something else. Unless you live in the south and are beating your wife while drinking a Bud and smoking a Marb red. Even then it still isn't expectable, it's more of a uniform. I'm sure you're thinking there are other kinds of tank tops. You're right, there are and they are all equally bad.

6. Don't wear sweatshirts without hoods. I hope I don't have to explain myself here.

I understand this isn't a very long list but it's a very important one. There are many more don'ts that come to mind, but most of these venture into the realm of style and I won't go there just yet. Beware that there will most likely be a sequel to this post, so stay tuned.

No comments: