Thursday, April 12, 2007

What is the cost of freedom?


Apparently it is your ability to think for yourself, and sadly many are willing to pay that price.


I am always willing and open to discuss my time abroad and my desire to go back, and I have been pleasantly surprised at how accepting and interested most people have been. Indeed, the most common response when I tell people is "Why would you ever move back to the US?!". Only twice have I come across people who cannot comprehend my decision to move outside of the US in the first place, and I have chalked this up to ignorance. However, the most appalling of which occurred the other day with a girl from work and I can't get it out of my head. Perhaps because up until that point I had viewed this girl as one of the few people I have connected with since moving to Phoenix or at least had potential to connect with.


What had started off as an innocent conversation ended with my jaw dropping in shock and horror. Somehow the fact that I had recently moved back from London came up in the conversation to which she responded "Did living there make you appreciate your freedom?". Now, I'm thinking she is referring to living on my own and personal freedom, but I decided to ask for some clarification and instantly wished I hadn't. As a matter of fact, she was referring to something quite the opposite; the "freedom" American citizens have in America. Once I understood the question properly I quickly gave a resounding "NO", and told her of how it showed me the other side of the spectrum. I explained to her that I went through a phase of being deeply embarassed about being American and how I wanted to disassociate myself with anything related to America, but that I had come around. Now I have found a balance between being proud of being American but not wanting to live here. I understand now that wanting to live in London does not make me unpatriotic, despite the Republicans might think.


She was not convinced and didn't seem to understand why I would want to move back. In fact, her exact words when I told her of my plans to relocate in September were "Well, just don't become a terrorist". Because clearly, if you aren't with us, you're against us. I guess I know where I stand.

No comments: