Saturday, December 23, 2006

These Folks are Just so Gosh Darn Nice

Today (after my hangover suffering had relinquished) I went Christmas shopping and was asked at least half a dozen times how I was doing. This isn't such an odd occurance, but what is is that the people asking are genuinely interested in the response that I give. Their pleases and thank yous are heartfelt. They don't offer compliments they don't mean. They make conversation because they want to hear what you have to say, not because they want you to buy something. If none of you have ever been to the MidWest and witnessed this first hand, let me tell you, it makes for a much more pleasant shopping experience.

I spent a considerable amount of time yesterday complaining about the over zealous salesmanship here in the US; forgetting about the kindness of people in the MidWest. People often perceive the friendliness of MidWesterners to be fake, but I'm here to tell you it is real.

This is certainly not somewhere I would want to spend the rest of my life, but I am definitely proud to call it home. I guess you can take the girl out of Wisconsin, but you can't take the Wisconsin out of the girl.

No comments: